Is registration compulsory for all types of transfer of immovable properties?Except in case of transfer of shares of a co-operative housing society and housing limited company where registration is optional, virtually in all cases of transfer of immovable property like family arrangement, agreement to sell, conveyance, gift deed, lease deed (above one year), leave and license agreement, tenancy agreement, declaration deed, power of attorney to sell for consideration etc. has to be registered compulsorily under Indian Registration Act,1908 otherwise the proper legal title will not pass on to the purchaser/transferee i.e. the title will be defective if registration is not done.
In what languages should the document be written so that it can be registered in Mumbai?It should be normally be written is English, Hindi, Marathi and Gujarati only.
After how long is the document given for registration returned?Documents lodged for registration prior to October 1, 1995 are sent to Pune, after it is indexed, for microfilming and only then it is returned to the party, which may take a few years. All the documents lodged for registration on or from October 1, 1995 are returned to the party within a few days of indexing the same because only the photocopy is sent to Pune for microfilming. After February 1, 2002 when the registration process was computerized, normally the documents have been returned within half an hour.
Why does it take so long time for documents to be returned in old cases?The above mentioned procedure is one of the reasons but the major reasons due to which the document remained pending at the office of sub-registrar and not being indexed and not returned to the Owner are as follows:-
- Stamp Duty was not paid according to the "Market Value".
- Income Tax Clearance certificate U/s 230 was not attached where required (See Note (i) below).
- N.O.C. of Appropriate Authority in Form 37-1 was not attached where required. (See Note (ii) below).
- N.O.C. under Urban Land Ceiling Act was not attached where required.
- Certain parties to the Agreement had not admitted execution in front of the Sub-Registrar
- Income tax clearance certificate under Section 230A of Income Tax Act, 1961is now not required from 01-06-2001 even for documents accepted for registration before 01-06-2001 as requirement for such certificate was on the day of registration receipt itself but due to ignorance and a document was considered to be registered on the day it is Indexed and if it is not indexed uptil now no Income Tax Clearance certificate is required even for old cases.
- N.D.C. of Appropriate Authority in Form 37-1 is also not required from 01-07-2002. As above NOC is now obtainable this is applicable even for old cases